Saturday, October 2, 2010

I can´t pronounce any words...but BEER!

Hello from Vienna!!!

I have to say, Vienna might just be my second favourite city in the world (obviously NYC is my number one choice).  This place is so many things: beautiful, full of history and culture, fun, relaxing...I could go on forever.  I could also stay here forever.  It´s funny how things work out though, because originally I had never planned on coming to Austria.  I did´t know really anything about it, and although people had told me how incredible they found it, I had no desire to see this place.  But then something inside my head clicked a few days ago and I said to myself, ¨How often are you over here?  Just do it!¨  So, I did it, and I am very glad I did.  I spent my first day here walking around the city centre- what a great place.  Its a fusion of huslte and bustle with modern buildings and shops, but also plays host to some of the oldest churches and buildings in all of Austria.  Needless to say I learned a lot and enjoyed the view along the way!  Then today I spent most of my time at this beautiful palace where there are acres and acres of grounds that you can walk around and see gardens, statues, hiking trails, etc... I absolutely savoured my time here and was able to do a lot of thinking and reflecting on my life and my time in Europe.  Great day!

The hostel I am staying at is great.  There are two buildings- the main building with some rooms, and then a private building across the street, which I was fortunate enough to stay in.  Its beautiful, the people are friendly and speak great english, and very clean!  They also have happy hour where drinks are super cheap, which is a great way to meet new people, as I learned last night.  I met some incredible people last night who I chatted with from all over the world. 
When it comes to pronouncing names of places and streets, I am a lost cause.  But when it comes to ordering drinks, we all agreed that BEER is pretty much universally understood everywhere.  And where there´s beer, there is bound to be a good time.

I will be thinking of you all at happy hour tonight, and will raise my glass to you!

Love and friendship,

Kaila

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed Austria. I met a backpacker from Edmonton a few weeks ago and he said he HATED Vienna which I could not understand for the life of me. I mean, like every city there are many bad parts/things but on the whole Vienna is great. And the #1 city in the world in terms of quality of life.

    So where did you go in the inner city. Did my tips help or did you get the message too late?

    Have fun with the rest of your adventures!

    (Beer = Bier in german :P)

    ReplyDelete