Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Leather Market Makes MY World Go Round...

Ah, Florence.  I just love the smell of leather right outside my door.  That's right folks, the leather market in Florence was just steps away from the hostel I am staying at in Florence, Italy.  I had to restrain myself multiple times in the leather market, and keep reminding myself that I have SO many purses at home which I never use.  But boy, was it tempting! 

The city of Florence is lovely.  Not my favourite place I've visited on this trip, but a nice relaxing city where I was able to take it easy.  I needed a break from running from tourist site to tourist site in some of the bigger cities, like Rome.  So I used today to unwind a bit.  I had a late breakfast, and then joined a walking tour that the hostel offered in the morning.  But I have to be honest, the walking tour and tour guide were a huge bore, so I bailed after an hour, and set out on my own to see Florence the way I wanted to.  The Duomo is incredible and LARGE!  Holy moly, I felt dizzy looking up towards the top from the street!  But I have to say my favourite part of the day was getting on the local transit and travelling to a place called Piazza d' Michaelangelo.  This was a lookout just outside of the old city and up one big hill.  At the top, you can see the entire city of Florence, and many more miles of incredible land and vinyards beyond that.  To my surprise, it was not jam packed with tourists, which was a bit refreshing.  People even asked me for directions (in English) which really made me excited...I guess I look like I fit right in here HAHA! Loves it!

The hostel I am staying at is called Archi Rossi, and I can't rave enough about it (other than the walking tour haha).  The walls are covered, and I mean COVERED, in graffiti that previous and current guests have designed.  I must say, it gives the place a very relaxed and comforting vibe.  I added to the artwork, so now I will be a permanent member of this hostel!  I tried to find Lisa and Kim's names, but trying to find one name is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack...impossible.  The best part about this hostel you ask? THE BREAKFAST!!!  Normally at hostels you get a choice of cerial or toast, which is spread out nicely on a table.  But not, not at Archi Rossi.  This place is like the Hilton of hotels when it comes to breakfast.  You can choose from ten different items on a breakfast menu, which they prepare right next door in the kitchen while you wait.  Breakfast items include french toast, bacon and eggs, bacon, egg and cheese sandwich (which I had this morning), cerial, pancakes, etc.....AMAZING.  And on top of that they offer at least nine drinks that you can choose from ranging from the traditional OJ, apple juice, coffee, tea, iced tea, cappuccino, and a few more that I can't recall at this moment.  Basically, what I'm trying to say, is this place rocks!!

Tomorrow morning I am leaving bright and early for Venice!! I have been told that you can do Venice in a day, and since I am leaving Europe October 9th, I figured I would spend a day there and then move on.  I decided to take the overnight train (great way to save money) from Venice to Vienna, Austria.  I am really excited to go to Austria, even though I know very little about it.  But one of my roommates from 4th year, Victoria, is living in Austria, so she has given me some great tips as to what to see and do while I am there!  Then from Austria I will head to Berlin, stay for about three days, and then finish the trip in Amsterdam!!  It's absolutely beautiful over here, and I recommend you all try and make it over here at some point to experience this wonderful and beautiful part of the world!!

I miss you all lots and love you more!!!

Send me life updates, I would love to hear from you!

Love and friendship,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment