Monday, September 27, 2010

The city transit are Mercedes...

Thats right, all of the public transit vehicles in Rome are Mercedes.  It is so funny to be walking down the street and then just see a bus with the Mercedes symbol rockin on the front! 

Wow, I dont even know where to begin.  The last two days have been incredible, filled with loads of walking, site seeing, experiences, memories, etc..Yesterday I tackled Rome.  And what an incredible city it is!  There is so much history there.  It has a very similar feel to New York City from a tourists perspective.  Not in the sense of the buildings themselves, but in this indescribable magical feeling that lingers in the energy of the city.  Jam packed with tourists, really all you have to do is look for a big crowd of people to find the hot spots like the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.  It was really cool- as soon as I got off the subway and walked outside, the Colosseum was standing RIGHT infront of me.  For those of you who dont know, the Colosseum is what I was looking forward to seeing most of all on this trip, and it did not disappoint!  First of all, I got in free since it was Europe Tourism day- SCORE!  I splurged and got an audio guide which was really cool.  I definately recommend getting one of those if you go to this historic land mark.  Its hard to believe that so long ago people would be placed on a platform to battle it out with animals to entertain others!  Walking the city was much easier that I expected, and I found most of the land marks without too much trouble.  But like I said, if I was ever lost, I would just look for a crowd of people, and BAM, I would find what I was looking for.  Once again, the Italian men did not disappoint.  Every where I turned I saw one beautiful face after another.  

Today I tackled Vatican City.  I have to be honest, the museums were a bit of an underwhelm, but the art was still pretty incredible.  The line to get in spanned, no joke, four city blocks!!!  When I saw that I was realy to give up (can you sense my impatients?).  But luckily, I had booked a reservation online and got in without having to wait in line.  Another not to any travelers in this are...BOOK A RESERVATION to get into the Vatican museums!!  Definately helps, and does not eat up your entire day, althought I am sure you could get a great sun tan from waiting in a line like that.  You can not help but be silent when you enter St. Peters Basilica, for more than one reason.  Yes, security tells you to be silent, but also just walking in will take your breath away as you marvel at the architecture and sheer beauty of this building! 

I spent the evening relaxing on the beach outside the hostel.  I got myself a nice salad and a tall can of beer (£0.45 and surprisingly good) and watched the sunset.  I am sad that this is the last beach on the agenda, but I am definately leaving with fond memories of the Italian coast, with hopes of returning someday. 

I hope you are enjoying the pictures and the blog so far!! I will update as often as I can!

Florence is on the agenda for tomorrow, so until then, arrivederci!

Love and friendship,

Kaila

1 comment:

  1. 0.45 euros for salad and beer!? Amaze. And online reservations for line bypass at the Vatican? Had no idea you can do that. I didn;t know the Vatican was online too lol.

    Glad you're having fun my dear!

    ReplyDelete