Saturday, September 25, 2010

When in Rome...

Hello from Rome!!

We arrived in Rome today, and are staying about thirty minutes outside the city centre right on the coast!  The view from my window is Mediteranian, Mediteranian, and more Mediteranian!  I love the Italian coast...have I mentioned that yet??? I plan on spending the rest of my day lounging on the beach, but first, I think you all deserve an update!

Cinque Terre was AMAZING!  It took us about four hours to hike the entire National Park, through the five villages located through the mountains on the Italian coast.  I have never seen views like we saw at the tops of the mountains, it literally takes your breath away.  I will it admit, it was the hardest trek I have every completed, going up and down steep hills, and just when you think there are no more hills, they get even steeper!  But we were rewarded at the end with a lovely swim in the Mediteranian in the small village of Monterosso (google it). 

We had a lovely dinner at the pizzeria on site, and I decided to try this four cheese pizza.  Aunt Kelly, you would go nuts.  They put brie, blue cheese, goat cheese and fresh mozzerella on a fresh layer of home made dough wtith olive oil to top it off.  Seriously, best pizza ever!  I want to go there for dinner everyday of my life.  No joke. It was also really neat to watch the Italian family that owns the Pizzeria.  It is very clear that family is the first and foremost important thing to Italians (or the ones that I have seen at least).  I really liked the way the three generations of family worked together.  You could really see the love they have for each other, and it reminded me a lot of my family.  Quick shout out to the LeMaitre/Hawkins clan- I love you guys!

Leaving the campground this morning was a little bit difficult, because that meant we no longer have our own cabin.  The privacy was awesome, and the people here were beyond kind to us.  If you are ever going to this area, I will hook you up with this place.  Its situated between mountains, and it actually reminded me of camping in New Hampshire.  Auntie Ann, you would have been in location and food heaven here!  I thought of you often!

The only thing I do not like about Italy so far is the fact that in public places, you have to PAY to PEE!  We arrived at a few of the train stations (and its enough that we have to pay the prices we do for a train ticket) but ontop of that we have to pay to pee.  But the stubborn me said, nah, I will hold it....that was hard.  HAHA! 

I am SO excited to tackle Rome and the history this city has to offer.  The plan is to adventure through Rome tomorrow, and then on the 27th tackle Vatican City before leaving for Florence.  And just our luck, September 27th is World Tourism Day so we got FREE tickets into the Vatican and Vatican museums!!! How freaking lucky are we, eh? I guess we will just have to spend that saved money on some nice Italian wine...

Miss you all more each day!

Big love and friendship,

Kaila

1 comment:

  1. I feel like you are my jet setting, adventurous alter ego <3 Miss you, I hope I'll get to see you in a month-ish! PS> I have no idea how to change my damn name on here... Kateness i am!

    ReplyDelete